How to Become A Professional Web Graphic Designer?
Web graphic design is one of the most crucial aspects of any business. According to InfinityHR, 94% of first impressions of the company are based on graphic and web design. And as this profession becomes more and more in demand, more and more people are beginning to wonder how to become a web graphic designer.
Even if many want to learn the basics of web design and acquire knowledge about this profession, some do not even know "what does a web graphic designer need to know and what does he do in general?"
What is a web graphic designer?
Web graphic design is a separate branch of web development and a type of design that aims to create web interfaces for sites. A specialist who is engaged in website design is called a web graphic designer. A website graphic designing is a profession that has become increasingly popular and prestigious among people of all ages over the past few years.
A good web graphic designer should be able to create the most attractive design of sites or other Internet resources (for example, the design of a group on social networks or design of applications). In order to cope with this task, you need to have non-standard thinking. Many complex tasks have to be solved in a limited time.
Typically, a web designer needs to not only come up with the appearance of a website but also create a layout that will be useful for subsequent layout. In some cases, he is also responsible for the layout. The duties of this specialist include the creation of all kinds of icons, banners, and even illustrated content.
The advantages of the profession of a web graphic designer
Unconditionally include excellent demand in the market (there are very few experienced website designers in comparison with other professions), the possibility of remote work and the ability to work in another country (which does not exclude each other), and, of course, due to Because of its low prevalence, web designers receive decent wages for their work.
Graphic design vs web design
Web design and graphic design have a lot in common. Both require a good understanding of typography, graphics, and design principles. But in the end, web design and graphic design are different directions with different concepts.
Graphic design has its roots in the print industry. Whether it's a magazine layout or a children's book. All printed materials are usually less interactive than their digital counterparts.
Web design, while similar to visual design, focuses on interaction. That is, what people can interact with - participate - and not just consume.
How to become a web graphic designer?
There are several options for gaining web design skills:
- Training through sites that offer video training, online training.
- Self-study with the help of a variety of literature, textbooks that are aimed at acquiring knowledge and skills of web design.
- Attending web design courses.
Step 1: Exploring sites
The first step is learning Adobe Photoshop. Knowledge of Photoshop is a must for every designer. Training with the help of sites, video materials, you can start, for example, from the introductory courses of Zinaida Lukyanova and her site. Also effective training with the help of the website of web-designer Evgeny Popov.
For beginners and professional designers, sites will be useful:
- Designonstop - the theory of web design is well stated, practical aspects are considered.
- Сreativshik - graphic design courses.
- Photo web - Adobe Photoshop tutorials.
- Webformyself is a free mini web design course.
- Artlebedev - quick guide.
There are many websites that will help you gain theoretical knowledge and practical skills for further successful activities in the field of web design. Each of them has its own piece of precious knowledge that will help on the way to knowledge of web-skills. Therefore, it is highly discouraged to sit on a single site, walk around the Internet, look for a variety of photos and video tutorials, instructions, manuals, and with each lesson, you will get better and better.
Step 2: Self-studying
Books are another source for studying web design, in the designers with experience layout their techniques, tell the basic laws of website creation. The information in books, in contrast to various sites, is structured, and most often it is already written how and what to do in order to make as few mistakes as possible. We recommend these 5 books to you, even though we realize that this list could be endless.
- Herb Lubalin: Art Director, Graphic Designer, and Typographer
- The Design of Everyday Things, by Don Norman
- Wilson Harvey London - “1000 graphic elements”
- Don't Make Me Think, by Steve Krug
- How to Be a Graphic Designer, Without Losing Your Soul by Adrian Shaughnessy
Step 3: Attending Web Designing Courses
It is quite possible to learn Photoshop and learn how to create website designs using literature and video materials myself, but there is also a faster option - these are web design courses. We do not recommend starting with courses, first, deal with basic things with the help of books and videos. I am sure you will have a lot of questions that you cannot ask the book, and during the courses, the teacher will be able to help you immediately.
Of course, the disadvantage of courses is their high cost, but this money is invested in your education, which means that it is not wasted. And the sooner you become a professional designer, the sooner you can make money with a new, interesting, and highly paid specialty.
A good tool to help web graphic design
This specialized prototyping application is available for Mac, Windows, or browser. UXPin allows you to create interactive prototypes using the capabilities of code components, logic, states, and design systems. There are lots of industry-recognized prototyping tools are available on the internet - such as Figma, InVision, FramerX, etc. But Wondershare Mockitt is the best suitable tool for you. With Mockitt you can easily create website designs, wireframes, and prototypes, etc. It has lots of features that make your design process more handy. Its drag and drop feature is one of the best features. It has a huge library of widgets and easy to configure design shape options.
The features of Mockitt:
- Fast prototyping – Create a complete prototype in only 10 minutes! Mockitt is a lightweight online tool with an intuitive interface. The simple drag and drop workflow makes the learning curve shallow. It’s easy for anyone to get started!
- Prototyping on the Cloud - Olympic Games Cloud service infrastructure! Mockitt is a cloud-based prototyping platform. Test, share and gather feedback quickly while saving data.
- A wide variety of design resources – 500+ libraries of icons, components, screens, and templates; with continuous publishing from our users.
- Project synchronization - 128-bit SSL protocol for data transmission encryption and multi-level disaster recovery backup. Team members can freely synchronize progress and collaboratively view and edit the same project.
- Interactive teamwork - Strong teamwork support: Save averagely 6-8 hours as well as $200 per project! Comment and share feedback with your colleagues in real-time. Mockitt is ideal if members of your team work remotely.