Wondershare Mockitt - Free Online Prototyping Tool
"If a picture is worth 1000 words, a prototype is worth 1000 meetings." — Tom & David Kelley
- Get to Know Prototyping in Design.
- Reasons of Prototyping Is Such an Important Part of Business.
- Top list of Must-Recommend Prototyping Tools.
- Ways to Use Prototyping Tools.
- Tips to Turn a Vision into Something Tangible.
Top 10 Best Free Prototyping Tool in 2020
Creating applications is a very tough job, especially designing a user interface that can appeal the users. There are a lot of free prototyping tools in the market that are meant for this job only. Such tools can help you integrate different tools used for creating UI design ideas and instantly build a clickable prototype. Having a great prototyping tool is somewhat necessary for app developers and website designers. This is because when they have a working prototype, it becomes easier for them to explain everything to everyone else. Not only that, but it also allows developers to get an idea as to how their app needs to look in the end.
10 Best Free Prototyping Tool
Most of the designers make use of a lot of different tools for prototyping. These tools are very important and can help you make a website or application that perfectly complements your idea. Given below are top 10 rapid prototyping tools that you must definitely try out-
1. Wondershare Mockitt
Looking for a powerful prototyping tool for apps and websites, make sure that you give Wondershare Mockitt a chance. This software will allow you to create user interface prototypes for your app and also animate them. The prototypes that will be created will have clickable buttons so that you can create a working prototype to share with your team. One of the best features of this tool is that you can create an enterprise and simply share your prototypes with your team and they can all provide their inputs directly. Just because of this feature, a lot of people consider it to be one of the best prototyping tools 2020.
- It comes with a free version.
- You can import sketches directly on the tool and instantly create a working prototype with it.
- It can be used on Mac, windows as well as through your browser.
- It is not great for sketching.
- The website crashes sometimes and is not recommended to be used on slow computers.
- Previews aren't great and could be clearer and more professional looking.
Compatible with: Browser usage, Windows and Mac.
2. Web Flow
The main selling point of this prototyping tool is its ability to create complete prototypes without requiring you to code a single line. The tool heavily focuses on web animation, responsive designs and interactions. Using the visual user interface of this tool, you can build, design and even publish your website in a single click. Due to this, independent designers often use this open source prototyping tool due to its versatility and features. You can start off your design with a blank canvas or you can make use of hundreds of customizable templates present in the asset library of this tool.
- There are a lot of templates present in the library.
- You get to play around with a lot of customization options for each prototype.
- The speed of creating and testing prototypes is good and you can easily create dynamic slides for your apps and website.
- No live chat or customer support.
- This tool has a bit of learning curve before you can efficiently use it.
- The subscription plans of the tool are quite expensive.
Compatible with: All platforms
3. Adobe XD
There is no developer bigger than Adobe when it comes to designing. Adobe XD, the UI prototyp designer is another example of that only. This is a vector based tool, which is quite useful for putting up a prototype, tools for interactions, transitions and other dynamic functions etc. As it is a vector based tool, it is easy to resize the prototypes. Adobe XD manages to have all the design prototyping tools that a designer might require in their day to day job. Due to the ease of usage this tool offers, it is counted among the best prototyping tools.
- It allows you to easily share your designs with the clients directly from within the tool.
- It has a lot of designing and customization features.
- This tool can be integrated with other adobe design software which increases its effectiveness and usability.
- The paid subscriptions of this tool are very costly.
- The software version is a bit heavy on devices and is recommended to be used on capable devices only.
- You will need to spend some time on learning this tool first.
Compatible with: Android, OS X, Windows, iOS.
4. Origami Studio
Designed by Facebook, initially this tool was meant to help developers design and build their projects. It is one of the very few design prototyping tools, that will allow you to create a prototype or mockup and directly test it out on your devices using the Origami live app. There are tons of tools and customization options present in the tool, which makes this tool a must have. The library of this tool has a lot of attractive templates and assets that can be used to create a mockup within a few minutes only.
- It is completely free prototyping tool.
- You can directly preview your creation on a device by using Origami live app.
- The asset library is loaded with interesting assets that can make you work easier.
- This software doesn't have any type of cross platform functionality.
Compatible with: OS X
It is a reputable prototyping tool for designing. It gives the user the power to put functional prototypes and share together. It is packed with several features such as vector designing tool, sitewide changing of repeatable components and other tools for adding animation and other visual effects. Communication and collaboration are two other strengths of InVsion. Free hand makes the user to draw, make notes and send feedback also. It also has LiveShare feature which makes different users to see the design simultaneously. Team members can work together on this application.
- Rich interactive prototypes can be created with it that allow rapid iteration.
- Allows users to communicate, advance project and give feedback at the same time.
- All popular graphic formats are supported by it.
- This is a very heavy application. It lags from time to time.
- It doesn't gives quick working experience.
- Navigation can be difficult sometime.
Compatible with: Windows 10, android
This is one of the best free prototyping tools gaining popularity with time. It comprises of the essential feature for having most sophisticated web and app designing and prototype. The tutorials for this tool are easily available on different websites. This particular prototyping tool also contains UI libraries and different templates to make the work easier for you. It also allows user testing and also supports team management. There are a number of integrations available for it. You can integrate it with Adobe suit, sketch, jera and more. It has a very simple user interface so it is good for beginners.
- It offers responsive prototyping and works perfectly on different screen resolution.
- It is free and ready-made
- It is cheap and also discounts are also available for it.
- There might be some glitches occur while sharing.
- Key items remain hidden in the menu.
- It takes a long time to load huge files
Compatible with: Windows and android
It is an all in one best prototyping tool. It makes the accessibility and collaboration for the designers and developers easier. It is a cloud hosted platform. It has a very flexible style that offers a better control over the text, grid, and other such elements of the design. There are some very useful plug-ins present with it like Autoflow, fogmotion for animation and more.
- Easy switching between the prototype and design.
- It offers real time feedback and quick sharing.
- It has powerful editing features
- There is no convenient given in it to switch between layers.
- There is no version history or action history
- Some items don't get opened and the restart is required then.
Compatible with: SaaS and windows
It is mostly used by UX designers. The functionality of this open source prototyping tool is based upon the consistency and uniformity. The vector shapes easily adapt as per the changes in layout, size and style. There are some really good shortcuts given to it which you can use on your fingertips which speeds up a process of designing.
- There is no need of creating form fields in it and other UI elements also before using them in a wireframe layout.
- Multiple width views can be created in it as there is good flexibility of symbols is provided in it.
- It is packed with several features that save a lot of time
- It has no tools for real image editing.
- No built-in prototyping functionality
- Third party plug-ins required to support new versions
Compatible with: OS X
This app has powerful prototyping and wireframing. Users can make both high and low resolution prototypes of apps and websites. It also has a good comprehensive documentation tool. It also allows users to keep track of the notes and tasks. You can easily access these notes too. You can publish your prototype to the cloud as well with this tool with all the codes, specifications and assets. It offers a very easy user interface that can be used by anybody. It can help in refining ideas, brainstorming and user testing.
- This design prototyping tool provides faster iterating
- Allows user to create custom libraries.
- It is packed with huge set of features
- It is very difficult to follow it.
- It giver poor transferability
- Some prototype gets crashed die to bugs
Compatible with: Windows and android
If you have an understanding of designing the prototypes then this tool can be the best for you. This toll allows you to create master components with the click of a button. There are built-in interactive components that make work easy. It offers a seamless work flow with easy previewing, sharing and version control option.
- This free prototyping tools offers the users limitless possibilities even without built-in controls.
- There are project independent libraries present in it which allow intrinsic sharing of creations.
- The codes can be copied directly from the framer and can be used easily by developers.
- It is a bit slower than its competitive tools.
- Mainstream tools interoperability is somewhat lacks in framer.
- There are no spec tools present in it.
Compatible with: OS x, iOS, android, and Windows 10
How to Choose the Best Prototyping Tool?
As a developer, it is important for you to be very picky when it comes to selecting the tools you use for your work. The features and the options provided by the tool you use will have a lot of impact on the final results. The following are a few aspects that should be considered before you start using design prototyping tools. The following are some of the aspects-
One of the first things to check is the compatibility of the tool. The prototyping tool you select should not only be supported on your computer but should also be supported by other platforms. Tools like Wondershare Mockitt allow such functionality and users can use it through browsers or with their Mac or Windows computers.
Next up, make sure that the tool has all the features you want. Things like templates, customization, color correction and ability to integrate with other tools are some of the must have features. This enhances the overall result significantly.
Level of Fidelity
Based on your requirement of prototype, you need to select the tool that offers low, medium or high fidelity. For basic testing and layout, you can go for tool with low and medium fidelity but for more complex details like adding animation, micro-interactions and visual design, you should consider the tools with high fidelity.
Ease of Use
The tool should be such that allows the design to complete the task in minimum steps saving time. A well laid out tool has an interactive interface and makes the task easy.