Hackathon 2020: 5 Famous Hackathons Held in 2020
Previously, hackathons were held only among programmers, and the participants developed software technologies. But today at hackathon 2020, cases from various fields are being solved here. As a rule, there is no strict selection for the hackathon 2020. It is assumed that you already meet all the criteria, once you apply. Otherwise, you will have nothing to do there.
To take part in hackathon 2020, you just need to understand the topic. For example, to participate in an online hackathon 2020, you just have to apply and pay a symbolic entry fee. Many hackathons are generally free, but even where there is a fee, it is 100% offset by the benefits of participation.
What is a Hackathon?
The term is a combination of the words hack and marathon, which aptly shows the original idea behind the concept of a hackathon. In the beginning, it was an event that exclusively related to software and hardware development. Programmers, technicians, those interested in computers, engineers, and software developers were the first target group of the classic hackathon. The JavaOne conference, which took place in 1999, is named as the first hackathon.
Holding a hackathon related to your social mission is a good way to attract talented professionals to it, and to come up with and implement new ways to solve existing problems. If you decide to organize a hackathon, then these tips may help you.
1. Define the purpose of the hackathon: What problems are you trying to solve? What should developers do? Engaging developers is key to a successful hackathon, as they know how to build apps. You should also involve experts from the field, people from the community, students - the wider the audience, the more creative solutions can be.
2. Leave enough time for planning: Depending on the size of the event, preparation usually takes three to six weeks.
3. Choose a venue and date: For obvious reasons, nothing can happen until you choose exactly where it will happen. There are many places where a hackathon can be held, from IT corporate offices to local cafes. Since most specialists are working professionals, weekends are more convenient for them.
4. Get sponsors: The most expensive elements of the hackathon are the venue, food, and prizes. Think about what and which sponsors you can offer in exchange for support.
5.Tell potential participants about the hackathon: Submit information about the event on appropriate resources in order to attract those who are targeted and who may be interested in the hackathon. Connect with press and influential community members who can spread the word through social media. Ask sponsors to spread the word as well - it's in their best interest to have the widest possible audience.
6. Make sure you have good prizes for the winners: Typically, there is a direct link between the quality of the prizes and the quality of the projects.
5 famous hackathons online and offline that held in 2020
In general, organizing an online hackathon 2020 is not a very easy process, and the result of each such event is the emergence of new ideas and projects that have the potential to be socially significant and useful to society.
1. Hackathon "Spotlight 2020"
Event: Hackathon "Spotlight 2020"
Venue: St. Petersburg, 8th line V.O., 25 public space "Lines"
Date: February 15th, 2020
Projector2020 hackathon held on February 15-16, 2020 about the main challenges and social problems of the decade. Participants had created applications, services, conduct research, and investigations based on data and tasks proposed by non-profit organizations. The winning project had received financial support in the amount of 110 thousand rubles. The organizers of the hackathon were the Greenhouse of Social Technologies and Novaya Gazeta. Each participant can either came up with their own idea and team or acted as an author. The main goal of the hackathon to helped society and its institutions become more transparent and efficient and help people become stronger and more independent.
2. DREAM TEAM 2020 Hackathon
Location: Ufa, st. Komsomolskaya, 15, office 50
Date: February 22nd, 2020
Participants of the hackathon2020 had a unique opportunity to show their views on how communications and organization of work processes occur in organizations of the future. Hackathon is held for backend-, frontend-, full-stack-programmers. Individual applications and applications from teams of up to 3 people are accepted. The hackathon held offline and did not involve remote participation.
Hackathon was an opportunity for:
- Work shoulder to shoulder with strong programmers
- Make new acquaintances
- Learn to make a cool product in a limited time
- Look at an IT startup from the inside0
- Prove yourself and get a chance to find a job
- Soak up the cool coding atmosphere
- Test your knowledge of programming
3. BioHack 2020 - Bioinformatics Hackathon
Event: BioHack 2020 | Bioinformatics Hackathon
Location: St. Petersburg, st. Screensaver 22A of the Megapark business center, 7th floor. EPAM office
Date: March 27th, 2020
On March 27-29, the BioHack bioinformatics hackathon has been held in St. Petersburg for the fourth time. In 48 hours, teams of biologists and programmers offered their solutions to urgent problems in bioinformatics. At the end of the hackathon, three teams have won. The prize fund of the BioHack 2020 forum was 300,000 rubles.
Specialists with experience in the field of bioinformatics and related fields, senior students, graduate students, and graduates with knowledge in biology and programming had invited to participate. Every year the number of applications is growing, so the organizing committee conducts a competitive selection. Requirements for projects have been listed on the BioHack website.
4. Smolaton 2020
Location: Smolensk, st. Chernyakhovsky, 29, Sports Palace "Yubileiny"
Date: April 4th, 2020
The Smolaton 2020 hackathon took place in Smolensk on April 4-5, 2020. The organizer of the event was the Department of Information Technologies of the Smolensk Region. The total prize fund of the hackathon was 100 thousand rubles.
Schoolchildren of grades 8-11, students of colleges, technical schools, universities (participants under 18 years old - accompanied by responsible persons over 18 years old), young web developers, and experienced IT specialists from Smolensk and the Smolensk region took part in "Smolaton-2020". The size of the team was 2-5 people.
Within 24 hours, participants developed software products that would solve urgent problems in one of the areas: improving the urban environment, environmental protection, business optimization, health, and a healthy lifestyle, education. In addition, any participant could suggest their own relevant topic.
5. Station Skills Hackathon
Venue: Moscow, Timur Frunze street, 11k2
Date: February 29th, 2020
Developers of voice interfaces dedicated their skills to Yandex.Station. During the day, teams competed in creating useful or just fun skills adapted to purely voice control.
In the process, the participants would receive feedback from the Dialogue team. All teams that published their skill at the end of the day had received a prize - Mini Station. The best skills had also received promotion assistance.
We recommend that you familiarize yourself with Yandex. Dialog documentation and the unofficial resource repository for developing Alice's skills. We also recommend that you create a draft version of the skill in advance and go through moderation. At the hackathon, you will have more time to improve it and you can publish it immediately.
Tools you can use in Hackathon
Wondershare Mockitt is a program for web designers with which you can create not only prototypes but also the final interfaces of websites and mobile applications. The process of working in the program is intuitive, and the possibility of joint simultaneous work on a project attracts more and more teams to implement prototypes in Mockitt.
The pluses of working in Mockitt include:
- Free trial version available
- Create and render a layout in one program
- There are a huge number of ready-made websites and mobile app templates.
- Mockitt requires a fresh version of the browser, while the desktop version does not require a powerful and modern computer.
- Save project versions on the free version
- Even a student can create the simplest prototype in Mockitt