How to Create Image Slider with jQuery
Image sliders (also known as image carousels or slideshows) can be a convenient way to display multiple images, videos, or graphics on your website. Image sliders are an effective way of displaying images or content cards. They can add visual interest and reduce clutter.鈥疻hen it comes to bringing in such dynamic content in your website, jQuery is usually a great option. Jquery image slider can easily be designed with minimal effort using the wide variety of jquery plugins available.
How to Create Image Slider with jQuery
Here is a quick tutorial on creating image sliders quickly with jQuery.
1. When it comes to creating a jquery image slider, it is best to start with a concept. Determine why the slider is the best fit for your content, instead of a standalone image or video. With this question answered, you will have a good sense of the type of content you plan to use. Sketch out a storyboard to get an idea of how many frames you'll need. Decide if your jQuery image slider will jump from one image to the next, or have a continuous, panoramic effect. You can also use popular tools like Mockitt to sketch the storyboard.
2. Select a jquery image slider plugin that fits your requirement. For purpose of this tutorial, we will consider the jQuery?WaltzerJS plugin. WaltzerJS is a lightweight and fast jQuery image slider plugin used to create a highly customizable?image slider?with configurable?options.
There could be other possible ways to import the jQuery image slider plugin and this varies from one plugin to another.
4. Markup the HTML structure as follows. In this example, the image slider comprises of 3 slides.
5. Add appropriate CSS styling based on the jquery Waltzer plugin documentation. Each plugin may have a specific CSS requirement for the slider to appear as expected.
6. Call the plugin on document ready as follows –
7. Add default configurations and callback functions as per the jquery plugin documentation. You can then call the various API methods and event handlers based on your image slider logic.
Indeed, writing up a jQuery image slider can be time and effort intensive especially if a designer with minimal coding experience is working on it.
Designers love to focus on creative ideas and experiments. Rarely do you find a designer who loves to play with HTML, CSS and jQuery. However, from a designer's perspective it is also imperative to perform a seamless handoff to developers. On the other hand, it can be quite complex for a developer to manually look at a wireframe and code the jQuery image slider. When specifications are manually called out, there is bound to be significant human error.
The Best Tool to Create Image Slider and Generate Code
Wondershare Mockitt is a complete tool that lets you test, share, and gather feedback quickly while saving data. All of this can be done completely online without the installation of heavy packages.
Since jQuery image slider design is likely to be an iterative exercise, it is imperative to maintain intact records of the same project. Mockitt offers the capability to revert to previous versions of your project any time. Versioning enables teams to manage their design and determine the best work for final launch.
Mockitt fuels strong teamwork support. Users have reported savings of 6-8 hours as well as $200 per project on an average. The tool has undoubtedly become more apt for design and development teams as more teams are working remotely.
Here is a step-by-step guide to create jQuery image slider –
- Create a new Project on Mockitt and choose a webpages layout.
- On the canvas launched, select built-in widgets -> carousel widget
- When you drag out the carousel component, a picture placeholder will enable you to choose the collection of images.
- You can customize the various aspects of the jQuery image slider.
- Once your carousel design is complete, you can use the handoff tab to capture the specifications. The right panel will display the CSS specifications. Click on 'Copy' and share the styling with your developers.
When sharing your designs with other teams, you can assign one of the 3 roles (Owner, Administrator and Member), each with specific permissions. Team members can be managed flexibly and securely. This makes the work handover seamless.
Top 5 jquery image slider plugin
While a wide variety of jQuery image slider plugins are available in the open-source community, we list the top 5 jquery image slider plugin to ease your choice –
- Swiper - Swiper is a powerful jquery image slider library to implement?responsive, accessible, flexible, touch-enabled carouses/sliders on your mobile websites and apps. It also comes with 2 plugins:?3D?Flow (App Store like 3D slider plugin that turns your great swiper slider into amazing realistic 3D gallery with dynamic shadows.) and?Scrollbar (Add fully customizable eye-catching scrollbars to your Swiper slider). Swiper is well known for its image lazy load capability and is well supported on iOS, Android and desktop browsers.
- Blueimp Gallery - Blueimp?Gallery?is a powerful and multi-functional jQuery image slider plugin for creating responsive, touch-friendly and fully configurable image/video?gallery, carousel slider and lightbox gallery on the page.
- jQuery OWL?Carousel?2 – This plugin helps you create a highly customizable, fully responsive, mobile touch-friendly content carousel/slider with lots of useful functionalities for modern web/mobile designs.
- Glide - Glide.js is a lightweight, flexible?jQuery image slider plugin that helps you create responsive and touch-enabled sliders with fast and performant CSS3 transitions. This plugin comes with support for swipe event on touch devices. It comprises arrows, bullets, and Keyboard?navigation. It also offers auto play and pause on hover.
- responsiveCarousel - responsiveCarousel?is a lightweight (~5.4kb minified), responsive and touch-friendly jQuery image slider plugin that helps you simply to create multiple?Carousel like galleries which accept any type of html elements. It supports auto rotation and?Swipe / keyboard navigation.
Indeed, jQuery has a number of image slider plugins. The design community admits that the best way to go about designing an image slider is to start designing in Mockitt, handoff CSS code to developers from Mockitt's handoff feature and utilize jQuery image slider plugin to add dynamic image slider effects.