Interaction Design in UX Discipline【Mockitt】
With the rising pace of competition and movement of the business, education, and individuals on the online platform, it has become even more important to ensure a web presence that is impactful and effective. The interaction among various stakeholders has now shifted to the online platform, which is now acting as the base for future serviceability.
The interaction design foundation is important because 75% of the credibility comes from the website design itself. It is the point where the visitors decide to stay or leave the website in the instance. But the question that arises here is what exactly is the interaction design and how does it impact the user or consumer views and perspectives.
To understand the importance of smooth interaction between the user and system, it is crucial to understand that the interaction design UX is one of the factors affecting the user experience. Undoubtedly, this is the key to creating a user experience that goes far and wide.
What is Interaction Design? - A Brief Introduction.
In the simplest terms, interaction design can be understood as the design or layout of interaction between the user and the system. It is often abbreviated as IDX; it is how the users interact with the product based on good communication principles that ultimately lead to efficient and effective customer service and experience.
Unlike the interactive environment, the interaction design is also based on the fundamental five factors known as the 5 Dimensions. They are:
- Words (1D) involve the interaction content like the button labels to offer information to the users.
- Visual representations (2D) include graphic representations like images, GIFs, and icons to interact and act to aid the interaction.
- Physical objects/space (3D) are the physical hardware used by the user to interact with the system or product. It includes a mouse, joystick, keyboard, touchpad, and others.
- Time (4D) involves interactive media like animations, videos, tutorials, or any such content that changes with time.
- Behavior (5D) is the latest addition to the list based on the previous four dimensions. It involves understanding the mechanism of the product or system and how smoothly it operates based on the inputs offered.
In addition to focusing on the different dimensions, the 10 most important principles on which the interaction design is based are. The principles that are to be considered are:
- Higher Rate of UX
The main aim of the UX is to offer a match between the service the design offers and the experience that the user expects. It involves focusing on a layout that is simple to use and hassle-free.
- Consistent design
An interaction design that is consistent and attractive is better to use. The principle focuses on building a thorough design process, intuitive and easy for users to learn. Although, people will prefer to learn and acquire new skills, simplification of the same is important.
- Simple Functionality
While designing any interactive platform, one must ensure that the functionality is minimal and simple. A complex functional approach is not only difficult to understand but can also reduce the number of visitors.
- Limited Cognition Loads
An interaction design is friendly if it reduces the cognition load. Reducing the need for humans to track and remember the user process can lead to higher dissatisfaction levels.
- Better User Engagement
Although the design needs to be simple, it should be engaging as well. Adding the right amount of creativity and interactivity that can make the user feel connected is important.
- Friendlier User control
Today, users love to have the self-service concept. Allowing the user a greater degree of control and exploration will ensure trust and loyalty in the long run. It will build the confidence of the user, an important key for a long-term relationship.
- Increased Permeability
When the interaction design is created, there should be any hidden interaction that can reduce the usability and user experience. The design should be such that the users perceive the opportunity to interact with the media.
- Regular Learnability
In addition to all the factors, the user should be able to learn from the interactive media. It involves gaining information, skills, and knowledge that is important for using the media and offers a sense of accomplishment.
- Quicker Error handling
An intuitive interaction design should make arrangements to anticipate the possible errors that a user can commit and make sure that one can resolve the same at the earliest. The tools to handle errors should be simple, like the Undo and the Redo button on Word.
- Affordability With Quality
While it is important to make the interaction design affordable, it is equally important to keep the quality at its peak. One should follow the principle and focus on both the points simultaneously.
An Example of Everyday Interaction Design.
The interaction design UX is the way to create a better interface for the users and a step towards offering a better customer experience. While there are various interaction points between the user and system, ensuring that each point is managed effectively is key to designing an efficient interaction design foundation.
73% of the companies invest in design more to let their brand stand out from the crowd. From educational platforms to gaming websites, every platform uses interaction design to offer a better customer experience.
Websites and applications like Amazon, Flipkart, Myntra, Duolingo, and various other gaming platforms use the interaction design UX to offer customers a user-friendly and engaging platform with affordability.
Common Uses for Interaction Design.
Understanding the target customer's requirements is key to designing an interactive platform that offers a higher degree of flexibility and usability. By focusing on the principles and dimensions, there are multiple common uses of interaction design:
- Designing the learning portals to impart information and guidance to the knowledge seekers.
- The gaming portals allow the customers to interact and play with the system and have relaxing moments.
- Shop at the comfort of home with the help of interaction design-based shopping sites and enjoy.
- Have the home party by ordering the food from the interactive design UX of the delivery sites.
- Know about the reviews and feedback from the customer by simplifying the interaction process in no time.
- Entertainment platforms need to be effectively managed to allow users the ease of access and search of content.
- Readers and writer platforms should be friendly and interactive to bring interest and willingness for the visitors to stay for long.
The relationships between Interaction Design and UX.
The two terms interaction design and user experience design are sometimes used interchangeably, but the two are overlapped quite a lot. The former is linked to offering a simple yet intuitive design; the latter focuses on customer experience-based design more.
One can best explain interaction design vs UX is understanding that the interaction design is one of the user experience design specializations. The relationship between Interaction Design and UX are:
- Both the factors are concerned about improving the usability of the user.
- The interaction design is based on creating a design strategy that is favorable for the UX.
- Interaction design is a part of UX design concerned with the complete journey of a user considering various aspects like branding, design, usability, and function.
- The two work hand-in-hand to ensure better performance and experience.
Usually, the interaction design is confused with offering a better look, but it is concerned with offering technology to the customers that is friendly and easy to use. Interaction design is a perfect way to communicate with the audience and understand their expectations.
Using the interaction's basic principles, the digital platform can be turned more intuitive and meaningful by regulating smoother communication between the platform and user, ultimately driving towards more favorable business outcomes and growth.