40 Shareable UX Quotes for Designers
When you're looking for creative inspiration or wondering what Don Norman, Steve Jobs, or Jeff Gothelf would have done, where do you turn? Design quotes from UX experts and influential thought leaders help get our creative juices flowing, stimulate improvements in the design process and coach us in UX best practices. These UX quotes are well thought and can act as a great inspiration to you to become a great designer too. The creative design quotes are also based on experience that the experts have in the field, so you cannot ignore them in your ex designing career. Here are some of the famous UX quotes.
5 design quotes on Discoverability
1. "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." — Charles Kettering, Inventor, and Engineer
2. "Practice safe design: Use a concept." — Petrula Vrontikis, Graphic Designer and Lynda Author.
3. "A consistent experience is a better experience." — Mark Eberman
4. "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Design is knowing which ones to keep." — Scott Adams
5. "There are three responses to a piece of design– yes, no, and WOW! Wow is the one to aim for." — Milton Glaser
5 design quotes on Prototyping
1. "If a picture is worth 1000 words, a prototype is worth 1000 meetings." — David & Tom Kelley, Founder, and Partner of renowned Design and Innovation Consultancy IDEO
2. "A process that is not critically dependent on prototyping is not a UX process." — Julian Caraulani, Senior UX Designer at Samsung.
3. "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Design is knowing which ones to keep." — Scott Adams.
4. "I made 5,127 prototypes of my vacuum before I got it right. There were 5,126 failures. But I learned from each one. That's how I came up with a solution. So I don't mind failure." James Dyson
5. "Prototype as if you are right. Listen as if you are wrong".
Diego Rodriguez Telechea
5 design quotes on User Testing
1. "I get very uncomfortable when someone makes a design decision without customer contact." — Dan Ritzenthaler, Senior Product Designer at HubSpot
2. "We tend to be distracted by the voices in our own heads telling us what the design should look like." — Michael Bierut, Partner at Pentagram
3. "Usability does not equate to a specific number of clicks, taps, swipes, pinches, flicks." — John Morkes, Principal & Founder of Neet UX
4. "When fixing problems, always do the least you can." — Steve Krug, Information Architect, and UX expert
5. "All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make, the better." — Jeff Gothelf, Speaker and Executive Coach and co-author of Lean UX and Sense & Respond
5 design quotes on User Experience
1. "As far as the customer is concerned, the interface is the product." — Jef Raskin, Human-Computer Interface expert
2. "If you think good design is expensive, you should look at the cost of bad design." — Dr. Ralf Speth, CEO of Jaguar Land Rover
3. "The minimum we should hope for with any display technology is that it should do no harm." — Edward Tufte, Professor Emeritus at Yale University
4. "Typography needs to be audible. Typography needs to be felt. Typography needs to be experienced." — Helmut Schmid, Graphic Designer, and Typographer
5. "The trend of design toward simplicity and accessibility in software happened for a reason—simple sells, simple's usable and simple scales." — Rand Fishkin, Founder at Moz
5 design quotes on Teamwork & Collaboration
1. "As you navigate through the rest of your life, be open to collaboration. Other people and other people's ideas are often better than your own." — Amy Poehler, Actress, Producer, and Writer.
2. "Great things in business are never done by one person; they're done by a team of people." – Steve Jobs
3. "Team spirit is knowing and living the belief that what a group of people can accomplish together is much larger, far greater, and will exceed that which an individual can accomplish alone." – Diane Arias.
4. "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, and working together is a success." – Henry Ford
5. "Cooperation is the thorough conviction that nobody can get there unless everybody gets there." – Virginia Burden
5 design quotes on Innovation
1. "Design is the new basis of competition." — Eric Ries, Author of The Lean Startup
2. "Don't worry about failure; you only have to be right once." — Drew Houston, Dropbox co-founder and CEO
3. "Design adds value faster than it adds costs." -- Joel Spolsky, web programmer, writer, and creator of Trello
4. "Design is not a single object or dimension. Design is messy and complex." -- Natasha Jen, designer, and educator.
5. "Design can be art. Design can be aesthetics. Design is so simple, that's why it is so complicated." -- Paul Rand, graphic designer
5 design quotes on the UI Design Process
1. "You can't wait for inspiration, you have to go after it with a club." — Jack London, Novelist, Journalist, and Social Activist.
2. "Creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn't really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while." — Steve Jobs, co-founder of Apple Inc.
3. "Design can solve society's biggest problems… if we cultivate a love of learning through the design process." — David Sherwin, Ask The Sherwins LLC.
4. "[The design process] is about designing and prototyping and making. When you separate those, I think the final result suffers." — Jony Ive, Chief Design Officer of Apple Inc.
5. "Very often design is the most immediate way of defining what products become in people's minds." — Jonathan Ive, Product and Architectural Designer.
5 design quotes on Usability & Accessibility
1. "Clutter is the official language used by corporations to hide their mistakes." — William Zinsser, Writer, and Editor.
2. "If anybody here has trouble with the concept of design humility, reflect on this: It took us 5,000 years to put wheels on our luggage." — William McDonough, Designer, Author, and Thought Leader.
3. "Keep things simple stupid!" — Clarence Leonard "Kelly" Johnson, Aeronautical and Systems Engineer.
4. "There was an awareness of usability before the web, but business executives and engineers thought anyone could do it. The web made people realize that usability was desirable, but not easy." — David Gilmore, Director of User Experience Design.
5. "Design is not art. It is about crafting solutions to real issues." — Mark Boulton, The Manual.
The above are just a few of the top UX quotes worth checking and considering in your career. Since they are from some of the top experts in UX designing and other fields, you can be sure they are tested and confirmed to be valid. The creativity quotes can help you think outside the box as you think about the best ways to create a unique design that offers the best user experience. You can check at other user experience quotes to find the open you can apply in specific design projects.