Wondershare Mockitt - Best Free Wireframe Tool
Helpful Tips About Wireframe
- How To Create A Wireframe
- Wireframe Tools You Should Know
- Wireframe Templates for Your Inspiration
- Free-to-use Wireframe Kit
Top 5 Open Source Wireframe Tools
"What are some resourceful free open source wireframe software that I can try to create a layout of my website?"
As I read this query posted on Reddit, I realized that so many people out there look for open source wireframe software. Since wireframe tools (open source) let us draw a basic layout of our product for free, they are considered extremely helpful. The best part is that you can find an online wireframe tool that is open-source so that you don't have to pay for it. In this post, I'm going to list the top 5 wireframe open source applications that you can easily use to build an overall structure for your products.
The 5 Best Free Open Source Wireframe Tools in 2020
Since wireframing can be a tedious job, you should consider using some reliable open source wireframe software to help you. In this post, I have listed the top 5 tried-and-tested open source wireframe tools that anyone can use.
1. Wondershare Mockitt
Wondershare Mockitt is a popular open source wireframe software that you can use on your Windows or Mac system. If you want, you can also go to its website and use its online tools to create wireframes, prototypes, mockups, and other designs.
- You can work on a wireframe of your website or app in low, medium, or high fidelity, as per your requirements.
- There are several templates designed by professionals that you can use or just import a Sketch project.
- You will find thousands of elements, illustrations, icons, logos, and other widgets in the tool to create your wireframe in less time.
- Once the wireframing is done, you can export your design in different formats like HTML, PNG, or SVG.
- Features to collaborate with your team or share your projects with others
- A free-to-use web application is also available with extensive compatibility
- Some enterprise features are reserved for premium users
Runs on: Windows, Mac, and Web
If you have been working in designing for a while, then you must be familiar with Wireframe.cc too. It is one of the most popular wireframe open source tools out there that can be accessed by visiting its web source.
- It provides a blank canvas, letting you drag and drop different design elements from its sidebar.
- You can select the environment of your app and further edit the elements with its formatting options.
- Once the wireframe design has been created, you can export it as either PDF or PNG file.
- Users can only work on one wireframe at a time using this open source wireframe software.
- Freely available and lightweight
- It can run on almost any device easily
- Fewer features for animations and transitions
- Only provides low fidelity results
Runs on: Web
3. Pencil Project
Developed by Mozilla, Pencil Project is one of the most popular open source wireframe tools out there. The application is available for Windows and provides all the basic tools to create different wireframe designs.
- There are different prototype environments already available for Android and iOS that you can explore in this wireframe open source tool.
- Apart from the list of shapes and designs available in the tool, you can also export its open source library of vectors.
- After working on your wireframe, you can easily export the file in formats like PDF, SVG, ODT, and PNG.
- Since it also lets us link multiple pages of our website, you can create wireframes with mid-level fidelity.
- The entire wireframe open source tool is available for free
- Can be integrated with third-party plugins
- Not available for Windows or web
Runs on: Windows
If you are looking for an open source wireframe software that runs on different platforms, then you can try FluidUI. The application will let you work on stunning designs in seconds without any coding.
- There are more than 2000 different widgets, tools, and elements in the application that you can use.
- You will also find dynamic widgets for web linking, interactions, and transitions to create wireframes with high fidelity.
- Using its web-based dashboard, you can collaborate with your team on a real-time basis.
- Apart from new designs, you can work on any existing template or export your designs as well.
- Live preview of your prototypes and wireframes
- Free testing on mobile
- The free version only lets us work on a single project (with maximum 10 pages)
Runs on: Windows, Mac, and Web
If you have just started designing wireframes, then you can also consider using Cacoo. It offers a simplistic interface and is often considered as one of the online wireframe tool open source for beginners
- You can easily work on flowcharts, wireframes, and can even track changes in your project.
- There are tons of third-party apps and plugins (like Dropbox, Google Drive, AWS, Box, etc.) that you can include in your applications.
- Even while using its free version, you can collaborate with unlimited users and work on up to 25 pages.
- You can import Visio designs or use any existing template as it offers 100+ different demos.
- Several add-ons and options to create dynamic prototypes
- Pretty easy to use
- No desktop application available
- Only Free trial version
Runs on: Web
Now when you know about some of the best free open source wireframe tools, you can easily pick a preferred application. Out of the listed open source wireframe software, I would recommend Wondershare Mockitt. The application is available for free and can be accessed via web on any device. If you want, you can even download its Windows or Mac application and work on different wireframes, prototypes, and mockups with low and high fidelity.