How to Design a Good Website Layout
The website layout is the most important aspect of any website. Be clear in your web layout design process. I think that in web layout design less is more. You don't need to clutter your page. You need it to be simple. You don't need to put too much content or design elements on your website layout. Because normally people are very impatient and if it's just too much to read chances they'll just move on. Unless it's something that they absolutely need.
But if they're just browsing your site maybe comparing it with some other sites that are similar. If there's too much content or design elements and it's just too much clutter they're going to move on. So just keep it simple you should put the most important stuff to be displayed above the fold and you just don't need to overload them with a lot of information. So just try to keep things simple and clean. Just like Amazon, they will know exactly where they stand in the process eliminating any uncertainty.
Always be consistent across your entire website and this has to do with typography as well. You should know font families, font sizes. You don't need different size headings everywhere and colors of course. You have to stay consistent even when you put images on your site. The style of images, just keep it consistent throughout the site.
How to Create a Website Layout
Wondershare Mockitt is one of the best online tool for building a mobile app and web wireframes and prototypes. You can easily create an amazing prototype for Web, Android, and iOS. You don't need to write a single line of code to create a prototype.
With Mockitt, you can easily create a clickable prototype for mobile applications and collaborate with your team members. It has an organized and Streamlined workspace. The app is focused on the creation of iOS and Android projects, but it also offers you to use custom-sized web layouts. You can also create plenty of web layout design by using Mockitt. As we know, there are plenty of wireframe and prototype tools available on the internet. Some are free, and some are premium. But Mockitt is the best option for you, if you want to quickly create amazing wireframes and prototypes. Now I'm going to show you how to build a very simple but interactive mock-up or prototype with Mockitt. We'll try to work with the
mobile app as an example but you can use this prototype as a web application.
- So I already have an account if you don't have one you need to click on sign up. Enter your name, your email address, set up a password and then click on "Sign Up".
- Once you logged in, you have a couple of screen and once you create an acute multiple screens inside of that project. So here you can create a mobile app design and web layout design, whatever you want. You can add buttons and background images.
- When I click on this you can see the other screens. You can see some of the different icons so on. You will see a couple of different options when it comes to building mock-ups with Mockitt.
- For create a new project, just click on create project. If you're building a project you could pick from some of these templates. At starting point you can add animation and different kinds of very interesting things.
- You have to set the name of your project to create a prototype. Here you have an icon for your app. You can actually upload it. Here a splash screen option. The first screen you see before the app actually loads. but you can also add your own image.
- Click on "Create". It takes a couple seconds and then you should be able to see something looks like this:
- You can add or change more screens by clicking on this section.
- In the left side, there is a section, in this section you have a lot of options like you can create a nav-bar, you can change layout colors, images, buttons, add different shapes etc. These options help you to create an awesome web layout.
5 Cool Website Layouts
1. Parallax Scrolling
The first layout that becoming quite popular for some time is parallax scrolling. Many websites currently using this layout. It really does give a nice feeling to scroll through your website. Now, I'm going to show the website using parallax scrolling.
As you can see in the image below, it detects your mouse movement and scrolls the element accordingly. Additionally, if you are a mobile user, parallax.js will detect your device orientation. If you tilt your device, the element will scroll the same as you're moving your mouse on the desktop computer. So this might be the best that you are looking for. You should consider parallax scrolling, if you're going to design your new website.
2. Brick/Grid Layout
"The grid system is an aid, not a guarantee. It permits a number of possible uses and each designer can look for a solution appropriate to his personal style. But one must learn how to use the grid; it is an art that requires practice."
-Josef Müller-Brockmann(Swiss Graphic Designer)
3. Vertical Down Style
Another interesting layout kind is "Vertical Down Style" that lets the user scroll through your site and the content will dynamically appear. This is called "lazy load" but to make the most of your layout and make your cycle interesting. I think you'll need some kind of scroll animation and the plugin for this. I recommend Super Scroll Orama. It's a jQuery plugin for supercool scroll animation and will make your scrolling more exciting and enjoyable with many kinds of effects like fade, fly, and spinor whatever you want it.
4. Full Page Layout
The fourth one is "Full Page Layout" which popular among the minimalist design. This will give you a simple and clean design. Also that your users are able to focus on the content and also separate the content into a section. I found a small example code that will get your home page up and running with a quick coding. So have fun!
This is the most impressive layout in my opinion. It's separate your page into multiple columns horizontally. Very suitable if you have lots of contents and you want to separate it into a scrollable column. You can also navigate it to any section that you like through the sidebar link.
5. Monochromatic Web Layouts
Most of the web designers use plenty of colors in their layout designs. But what if you use just one color on your web layout design? I know this is not an easy task for UI/UX designers. But If you are done well, that type of layout can boost your design and make it more memorable. Using one color can help to boost your branding and add more flexibility to your design. Despite that most of the websites having plenty of colors but using one color could make you different or superior to others. Also, a monochromatic layout gives a professional and elegant look to your visitor.
Another advantage of using one color is that it lets your content shine. That means the monochromatic layout makes your content more visible or more readable. Sometimes you need to put a lot of content on your web page with a lot of colors, it can make your web layout more rushy and confusing for visitors. Instead of making your design even busier and confusing with a lot of colors, you should use a monochromatic approach.